King Edward's School Home

Old Edwardians

1931-1936: The Acquisition of the Edgbaston Site

In 1931, it was decided that the two schools' situation in central Birmingham was no longer advisable. They needed a new site and only the Calthorpe Estate could offer sufficient space within reach of the city centre. They had three locations available: Edgbaston Hall, Westbourne Road and Bristol Road. The governors selected the Bristol Road site and the papers were signed in December 1933. An architect was selected from amongst a pool of Old Edwardians.

The new school buildings were to be funded by the sale of the New Street site, which meant that the school had to find a temporary home whilst the Edgbaston site was under construction.

New Street was purchased for Oscar Deutsch, who wanted to build the city's first cinema. Many of the architectural features of the building were removed and preserved, some of them to the city's Art Gallery. The BGOEC retained some of the stained glass, which remains on display today.

In January 1936, the school moved in to temporary accommodation. The Foundation Stone of the new buildings was laid in the autumn of 1938.